Sydney Opera House, located in the city of Sydney, State of New South Wales, Australia, is one of the most famous and distinctive buildings of the twentieth century. In 2007 declared a World Heritage site, was designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon in 1957 and opened in 1973. In the building are made theater, ballet, opera or musical productions. It is headquarters of the company Opera Australia, the Sydney Theater Company and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Is administered by the Opera House Trust, a public body under the supervision of the New South Wales Ministry of Arts.
The Opera House of Sydney is a construction with an expressionist radically innovative design, comprising a large number of prefabricated shells, each one taken from the same hemisphere, which form the vaults of the structure. The Opera House covers 1.8 hectares (4.5 acres). It has 183 meters (605 feet) long and about 120 meters (388 feet) at its widest point. It is supported by 580 pillars sunk to a depth of 25 meters below sea level. Its power supply has a capacity equivalent to the power consumption of a city of 25,000 people. Energy is distributed through 645 miles of cable.
The roof of the theater are covered with 1.056 million of creams and bright white tiles in matte produced in Sweden, which in the distance appear white in color only. Are manufactured for the auto, but still is a regular maintenance cleaning and replacement.The two largest groups of arches that form the roof of the theater belongs to each Concert Hall (Concert Hall) and the Opera House (Opera Theater). The other rooms have ceiling as clusters of smaller vaults. The shape of shells was chosen to lighten the weight of internal structure, rising from the bottom of the entry spaces on the seating areas, reaching the highest stages.A much smaller group of shells, is one of the tickets and the monumental staircase and the Bennelong restaurant. Although the structures of the roof of the Sydney Opera House is commonly referred to as shells (as in this article), they are not actually in the vaults architectural sense of the word, as they are supported by prefabricated panels prefabricated ribs.Inside the building is built in pink granite extracted from the region Tarana of, timber and plywood from New South Wales.The nearest accessible station is Circular Quay Station, other roads are the ferry terminal and bus terminal. Within the city is located in the district of Central Business District (CBD).The idea of building an opera house in Sydney began to materialize in recent years of the decade of the 40 when Eugène Goossens, director of the Conservatory of Music in Sydney in the state of New South Wales held that the city needed to have a place suitable for large theatrical productions.At that time the theater was in the building of the Sydney Town Hall, an area considered insufficient for this type of production. In 1954, Goossens was a great success in obtaining support from the prime minister of the state, Joseph Cahill, who called for designs for a new building dedicated to house the opera house.Goossens also insisted that the building was built on Bennelong Point peninsula on the Bay in Sydney, against the advice of the prime minister Cahill, who felt it was best to install in the vicinity of the railway station at Wynyard, north-west of the city, thus facilitating their access in this way. Bennelong is a small peninsula called in this way to honor an Aboriginal called Bennelong (1764-1813) who was the intermediary between the Aboriginal settlement and the Commander of the Fleet and first Governor of New Wales, Philip Arthur.The contest began on September 13, 1955 and received a total of 233 projects from 32 different countries in search of a prize consisting of $ 100,000. The minimum criteria to be specified to contain the projects were a great room with capacity for 3000 seats and a smaller room for about 1200 seats, each of the designs were to contain spaces for big operas, concerts, orchestras, choirs, conferences, meetings, performances of different types.
The winning design was announced in 1957, won the draft Jørn Utzon, a Danish architect. Eero Saarinen, American architect and designer of Finnish origin, which make up the jury of the Commission of the opera house of Sydney, was crucial for the selection of the design of Jørn Utzon. Utzon arrived in Sydney in 1957 to help oversee the design and construction of the building.
Sydney Opera Wallpapers